Memory quilt top sewn

Behind my self-imposed schedule, as usual, but I’m pleased to say that I’ve finished sewing the top of the memory quilt.

On Friday morning, I completed my first row. Which was actually two rows sewn together. I’ve been sewing the squares in blocks of 4s for the bigger (6×6) squares and blocks of 16s for the smaller (3×3) squares. Which actually equates to two rows at a time. In the evening, and onto a row which consisted of a lot of little squares, I was close to throwing the sewing machine out the window whilst I struggled to align the joins of the little squares. Some I had to redo at least three times. Not my best Friday night ever. Anyway, here’s row 1.

IMG_0612.JPG

On Saturday, desperate for time saving methods, I started chain sewing the little squares. Rather than cut the thread each time I’d sewed two squares together, I just chucked another pair under the needle, leaving a little gap between the pairs. Can you see the chain?

IMG_0613-0.JPG

By the end of Sunday, I’d sewn another two rows of two. So six rows down, four to go. Not where I’d hoped to be, but I didn’t get the me-time I was hoping for, which meant crafting took a backseat. Here’s the six rows together.

IMG_0614-0.JPG

Monday night, another extension, my plan was to get it all sewn that night. Nope! Poorly baby. Penultimate row of two done.

IMG_0616-0.JPG

Tuesday morning, back on it. Last row of two finished.

IMG_0617-1.JPG

Tuesday afternoon, thanks to my little man helpfully having a good nap, I trimmed the rows so they were all the same width and sewed them all together. Voila!

IMG_0620.JPG

I suggested to the friend who is paying me to make this blanket that I quilt stars on some of the plain squares. As demonstrated by my son’s bath toys!

IMG_0622.JPG

Good idea, hey? She agreed.

Having ordered some wadding from America which was not the twin size I ordered, my next lot arrived which was, thankfully, the right size. Incidentally, I contacted the American company who supplied the first lot of wadding and it turns out it’s a problem with Amazon. They’ve refunded me and I have two lots of free wadding to use on future projects … Result!

So next up, I need to order the backing. I need three metres. Which is proving expensive. So, my cost-cutting solution is to buy a single bedsheet or two and use that instead. Watch this space, but not for a week or so. In the meantime, I’ll be busy with little man’s 1st birthday celebrations. Gulp.

Advertisements

One thought on “Memory quilt top sewn

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s