True to form, I was crafting against the clock this week to have some items ready in time to sell at our office craft stall raising funds for Comic Relief yesterday.
Having purchased ‘The Big Comic Relief Crafternoon’ magazine, I shortlisted a few crafty ideas. My deciding criteria was things which I could make from what I already had. First up, I decided to have a go at making a mouse or two.
I dutifully interfaced my fabric and cut out my pattern pieces.
I assumed this was a sewing machine job, so started assembling the mouse using my machine. This soon became quite fiddly and I had to do some bits by hand. Shame my hand-stitching skills are very poor. To do the seams, I had a go at back stitching by hand. Whilst in my Sewing Bee book, it says that back stitching doesn’t look as neat on one side as the other, mine was really messy on the back. Need more practice, although sewing machines are for seams, in my book.
After two evenings’ work, by close of play on Wednesday, I had a mouse with no eyes, nose or mouth and no clothes either. This left me Thursday afternoon’s nap time and Thursday evening to make some felt chicks, finish my mouse and make it some clothes.
I prioritised making the felt chicks, as these would be much quicker to make.
More hand stitching required. This time, I had to master blanket stitch, which, fortunately, I picked up quickly. Having made two chicks during my little man’s nap, I decided we should take a trip to B&Q to get some wire and wire cutters to make the legs. The jewellery wire I’d bought for the legs was much too thin. I then managed to whip up another two chicks while he was playing/getting every single toy he owns out and throwing them all around the room.
Once my little man was tucked up in bed for the night, I
spent wasted an hour attempting to make a dress for the mouse. It didn’t fit, was mostly too fiddly to do by machine which meant it took me eons to sew by hand. An hour later, I was ready to throw the mouse out the window or in the bin. Once I set my mind on doing something, I don’t like being defeated! Anyway, I decided to refocus my attention on the chicks, first having a go at making some legs for the ones I’d made earlier. They didn’t take long to make, so I decided having legs was a goer. I sewed up another 4 chicks and added legs to 8 of my 10 chicks, leaving two without wire in case anyone wanted them for little ones.
Friday morning, still reluctant to give her up for good, I thought I’d try finishing the mouse. I added a bead for her nose and stitched on two eyes and a mouth. Then I tried making a different dress for her. Despite taking far more than the ‘few minutes’ promised in the magazine, this worked out better than the last dress. Not having any poppers, I went for the Elizabeth Hurley look – safety pins!!
Here’s how she looked before clothes. Avert your eyes if easily offended. She’s not shy.
And here’s her modelling ‘that’ Elizabeth-Hurley style dress.
Off we drove to my office in Reading, where we dropped the chicks and mouse off to join the other crafty goodies on sale.
Being photobombed by our Design team.
Note: These photos were taken about 11:30 so don’t show everything that was available in the beginning.
These decorations were made at our Christmas Crafternoon by the talented Maddy. I bought a squirrel and a rabbit/hare, which are now adorning my Welsh dresser. I don’t think they’re too Christmassy so can get away with it.
Our Marketing Manager and family welcomed a baby girl this week, so everyone clubbed together to buy a crochet blanket for the new arrival. What a lucky girl to receive this beautiful creation!
And the grand total raised for Comic Relief is £150, with more still to come! We are blown away as we were only expecting to raise a fraction of that. Having blubbed my way through the Comic Relief TV coverage last night, it’s nice to know that our crafting has contributed towards such a good cause.